Housing Benefit is a national scheme administered for you by Renfrewshire Council’s Rent Allowance Department. Anyone who pays rent can apply, even if you are working or getting other benefits such as Income Support, Working Families Tax Credit, State Retirement Pension etc.
The amount of benefit awarded will depend on the amount of money coming into the household plus any savings you may have. In addition, the number and ages of other people living in your home will also be considered.
You must always advise Bridgewater Housing Association or the Council of any changes to your circumstances or to those of household members.
- An increase or decrease in wages
- Changes in employment situation such as redundancy or starting work
- Amendment to benefit levels
- Amendment to type of benefit received
- Changes to who is living in your home
IF YOU DO NOT DO THIS IT IS LIKELY THAT YOU WILL LOSE BENEFIT AND BE REQUIRED TO PAY FULL RENT FOR YOUR HOME.
You can contact Renfrewshire Council’s Rent Allowance Section directly on 0300 300 0204. Alternatively you can visit their office at Council Headquarters, Renfrewshire House, Cotton Street, Paisley.
You can also visit Renfrewshire Council’s Housing Benefit section on their website where you will find useful information on a range of related topics such as:
• An outline of the Council Tax and Housing Benefit service
• Commonly asked questions about HB
• Discretionary Housing Payments
• Backdating Benefit
• Overpayments of benefit
• Savings and Housing Benefit