There are a number of ways that you can help look after your home:
- Security – Always lock your doors and windows when you go out. Make sure that tools and ladders are securely locked away, and never leave keys in a ‘secret’ hiding place.
- Bogus Callers – Always check on who is at your door. Use your spy hole and your door chain. Ask to see an identity card before letting strangers in.
- Property Marking – You can improve your chances of getting stolen property back if you keep a list of serial numbers and take photographs of valuable items. Write your postcode and house number with an ultraviolet pen on your belongings. Contact your local Crime Prevention Officer at Erskine Police Office for more information on 101.
- Neighborhood Watch – If you are interested in setting up a Neighborhood Watch Scheme, or would like more information, contact Erskine Police Office or Police Scotland at www.scotland.police.uk or call 101.
- Insurance – It is absolutely essential that you take out home contents insurance to cover your possessions – everything that you own or pay for.
- Condensation – Get rid of condensation by giving your home a good airing first thing in the morning. Control steam created in your kitchen or bathroom by opening a window or using extractor fans if you have them. Contact our Technical Services Team for more advice.
- Frost – You can protect your home from frozen or burst pipes by taking a few simple steps each winter. Further details are given in your Tenants Handbook and winter editions of ‘Bridgewater News’.
- Smoke Alarms – Check your alarm at least once a month to make sure it is working properly. You can do this by pressing and holding the test button until the alarm sounds. If your alarm does not seem to be working properly, contact our Technical Services Team right away.
- Maintaining your Gas Central Heating – Our contractor needs to service your central heating system once a year to make sure it is safe and any faults are repaired. It is important that you give them access to your home for this work to be carried out.