Latest Service Update

playpark at Barholm Drive

Unfortunately we have been forced to close the playpark at Barholm Drive after recent vandalism. The surface has become a safety issue due to the amount of surface being lifted. The playpark will remain closed until the resurfacing work has been carried out. Rest assured we are working to have the playpark reopened as soon as we can.

Emergency Repairs

Repairs should be reported to the Association staff either in person at our office, by e-mail or by telephoning during office hours. If you have an emergency repair outwith office hours, you should contact one of the emergency phone numbers:

James Frew – 01294 468 113  For all emergency repairs except heating or hot water systems.

City Technical –  0333 202 0708: For all gas heating or hot water repairs.

If you smell gas or think you may have a gas leak:

  • Phone Scottish Gas Networks (SGN) immediately on: 0800 111 999
  • Don’t smoke
  • Don’t use naked flames
  • Don’t turn electric switches on or off
  • Open windows and doors to get rid of the gas

If you have a power cut:


If you have a power card or gas card meter, remember to check that you have credit in the meter in case your supply has been cut off before you tell us that something is wrong.

Please note that residents who contact the emergency out of hours contractors with a non emergency repair (i.e. a repair which could wait until normal office opening hours) may be charged for the cost of the call-out.

More Information about Repairs

As a tenant of Bridgewater Housing Association, you have a right, under the Scottish Secure Tenants (Right to Repair) Regulations 2002, to have certain small repairs that you report to us carried out within fixed time limits. These repairs are known as ‘Qualifying Repairs’ and are listed in the table at the end of this page. The value of the repair must also be estimated to be less than £350. You have the right to instruct an alternative contractor to carry out the work if it is not completed within these fixed time limits.  You may also have a right to financial compensation if we don’t get your repair done on time. If your repair is a ‘Qualifying Repair’, it will say so on the receipt that we send you when we instructed our contractor to carry out your repair.

Although we do our best to ensure that all repairs are carried out within specified timescales, some jobs are not completed on time. If this is the case, you may want to ask these questions, below.

When can I instruct an alternative contractor?

An alternative contractor can only be used if the repair you requested is a qualifying repair (this will be shown on your repair receipt you receive in the post as “Urgency: RIGHT TO REPAIR 1 DAY “, for example) and only if the contractor we gave the work to originally did not attend to your repair by the ‘Completion By’ date.  The original contractor has until midnight on the ‘Completion By’ date to attend to the repair.

How do I use the alternative contractor?

If you feel you have the right to appoint an alternative contractor, please telephone our Repairs Department and advise a staff member that you wish to appoint an alternative contractor and quote the job number that is shown overleaf on the customer receipt.  Our staff member will first ensure that the job qualifies as a ‘Right to Repair’, and then check whether the original contractor can attend to you immediately.  If not, we will give you the name and telephone number of our alternative contractor whom you can contact and instruct to carry out the qualifying repair.

Am I entitled to compensation?

If there has been an unacceptable delay completing your qualifying repair, you may be eligible to receive financial compensation for the inconvenience you suffered.  If your qualifying repair has not started by the target ‘Completion By’ date, you are entitled to a flat compensation payment of £15.  You can claim a further £3 for each working day beyond the ‘Completion By’ date until the repair is completed.  The maximum compensation is £100 for any single claim.

Please note that if you have any rent or other arrears with us, any compensation due will be first be used reduce these arrears.  The remainder, if any, would then be sent to you.  The alternative contractor is given the same amount of time to carry out the work as the original contractor was given.  You may be entitled to additional compensation if our alternative contractor fails to complete the repair by the new completion date.

What if I have a complaint regarding the Right to Repair scheme?

If you have complaint or a query way we are operating the Right to Repair scheme, or any other aspect of the Association’s repairs service, then please contact our Technical Team to discuss. Some more information about qualifying repairs is shown below.


 Qualifying Repair Timescale
 Blocked flue to open fire or boiler 1 day
 Blocked foul drain or soil stack. 1 day
 Blocked toilet pan if there is no other working toilet in the house 1 day
 Leaking foul drain, soil stack or toilet pan. 1 day
 Blocked sink, bath or drain 1 day
 Total loss of electric power 1 day
 Partial loss of electric power 3 days
 Insecure external window 1 day
 Insecure external door 1 day
 Insecure lock 1 day
 Unsafe access path or step 1 day
 Leaks or flooding from water or heating pipes, tanks, or cisterns 1 day
 Loss or partial loss of gas supply 1 day
 Loss or partial loss of space or water heating where no alternative heating is available 1 day
 Toilet not flushing where there is no other toilet in the house. 1 day
 Unsafe power or lighting socket or electrical fitting 1 day
 Loss of water supply 1 day
 Partial loss of water supply 3 days
 Loose or detached banister or handrail 3 days
 Unsafe timber flooring or stair treads 3 days
 Mechanical extractor fan in kitchen or bathroom not working 7 days

In certain circumstances we may have to carry out repairs on your behalf or meet other costs, which are not the responsibility of the landlord. These costs will be passed on to the tenant and may include:

  • Emergency repairs which are your responsibility, e.g. lost keys, power loss due to defective appliances.
  • Where you fail to carry out work which causes nuisance to other residents, for example an overgrown garden. (This work will only be carried out when you have been given an adequate opportunity to carry out the work. You will also be given reasonable notice that the work is about to be carried out with the charge being passed to you.)
  • Where you fail to give access for a repair, when a firm arrangement has been made, and a cost is passed to the Association.
  • Where call outs are made for non emergency repairs.
  • Where you call out an emergency contractor and fail to provide access.
  • Where we have to force entry to carry out statutory repairs, e.g. gas fire/central heating servicing (Only after reasonable opportunity has been given to you to allow access).

In all other cases where we carry out work that is your responsibility, the estimated cost of the repair must be paid in full prior to the work being instructed. We will not normally carry out work of this nature except in special circumstances.

Malicious damage, e.g. broken windows, attempted break-ins etc, should be reported to the Police and a crime reference number obtained. We need this information to process any subsequent insurance claim. Failure to follow this procedure could result in you being charged for the remedial works.

Some tenants may require their homes to be adapted in some way because they or a family member may be disabled or in poor health. If adaptations are needed in your home contact Renfrewshire Council Social Work Department, telephone number 0300 300 1199, to ask for an Occupational Therapist to assess your family’s requirements.

If your home needs to be permanently adapted, the Occupational Therapist will contact us on your behalf. Please note that the Association will only carry out medical adaptations to your home if it has received a formal referral from the council’s occupational therapist, we feel that it is appropriate to alter the property and we have funds available to carry out the work.

Permission must be obtained from the Association prior to any alterations or improvements being carried out to your home. See section 5 of your Tenancy Agreement for more information. The appropriate forms can be downloaded from the website or are available from the office.

The Association will not unreasonably withhold permission for improvements and alterations. If you have made alterations or improvements with our permission, you may be entitled to compensation at the end of your tenancy. Our maintenance staff will be happy to advise you on any alteration/improvement proposals.

Unauthorised alterations may require to be made good at the tenant’s expense.

Right to Compensation for Improvements

When your tenancy comes to an end you may be eligible for compensation for household improvements, providing we gave permission for the work to be carried out in the first place. Compensation ranges from £100 to £4000 depending on what the improvement is and when it was carried out. Improvements that are more recent are more likely to be eligible for compensation. You can apply for compensation 28 days before the end of your tenancy and up to 21 days after your tenancy has ended.  Contact the Association for details.


Some of our properties have ceilings coated with artex, which can sometimes contain small amounts of asbestos. Asbestos does not present a danger to you or to anyone else as long as it’s not disturbed. If you are thinking about doing any alteration work to your ceilings, please remember that your tenancy requires you to get permission from the Association first and a member of our Technical team will advise you further.

As well as responding to reported faults, the Association has an ongoing program of planned maintenance aimed at ensuring the comfort and well-being of our tenants and the long term preservation of the property. This includes:

  • Annual servicing of gas fires and central heating boilers
  • Periodic inspections of electrical installations (e.g. sockets, switches, cooker outlets)
  • Cyclical repainting of closes and external woodwork, guttering etc.
  • Planned replacement of kitchen units, heating systems and other major items.
  • We will tell you about future plans through our regular newsletters.

Most of the landscaped areas within the Association’s management areas have not been adopted by Renfrewshire Council. This means that they are owned by Bridgewater Housing Association and we have the responsibility for maintaining them. This entails a great deal of work and includes:

  • Grass cutting
  • The preparation of shrub beds
  • Planting
  • Trimming and pruning
  • Weeding
  • Litter collection
  • Maintenance of trees and woodlands
  • Repairing and replacing fencing
  • Drainage repairs

To give some sense of scale, Bridgewater is responsible for the maintenance of 57 acres of grass and shrub areas within the estates we manage as well as trees, woodland, hedges and hard landscape areas.

If you have a query about who is responsible for any particular piece of ground we can check this for you.

If you feel standards are not being kept in any areas please contact the Association.

Legionella bacteria are widespread in the environment, such as natural rivers and lochs. They may also contaminate and grow in artificial water systems such as cooling towers and hot and cold water services. Everyone is potentially susceptible to infection but some people are at higher risk, e.g. those over 45 years of age, smokers and heavy drinkers, those suffering from chronic respiratory or kidney disease and people whose immune system is impaired.

Legionella bacteria can multiply in hot or cold water systems and storage tanks and then be spread in an aerosol form from showers and taps. Although the generally high throughput and relatively low volume of water held in smaller water systems reduces the likelihood of the bacteria reaching dangerous concentrations, the Association is legally required to carry out a risk assessment to identify and assess potential sources of exposure and introduce a course of action to prevent or control identified risks.

We have carried out inspections of all common water tanks in properties that we either own or manage and have where necessary cleaned and flushed the tanks to help stop harmful bacteria, like legionella, from building up in the water system. Some tanks are no longer in use because the resident’s property will have switched to a combi boiler heating system and a mains water supply so no maintenance is required.

If the tank is still in use there is no need to worry about whether the water is safe to use. This type of bacteria is widespread in the environment and as many as 40% of all water systems have small amounts of the bacteria present that do not present any significant risk. The Association will be carrying out annual inspections and maintenance of all common tanks that are still in use so as to ensure the safety and wellbeing of residents.

Here are some simple measures you can do right now to save energy, money and help reduce carbon dioxide emissions, which are harmful to the environment.

  • Turn your thermostat down. Reducing your room temperature by 1°C could cut your heating bills by up to 10 percent and typically saves around £55 per year. If you have a programmer, set your heating and hot water to come on only when required rather than all the time.
  • Close your curtains at dusk to stop heat escaping through the windows and check for draughts around windows and doors.
  • Always turn off the lights when you leave a room.
  • Don’t leave appliances on standby and remember not to leave laptops and mobile phones on charge unnecessarily.
    If possible, fill up the washing machine, tumble dryer or dishwasher: one full load uses less energy than two half loads.
  • Only boil as much water as you need (but remember to cover the elements if you’re using an electric kettle).
  • A dripping hot water tap wastes energy and in one week wastes enough hot water to fill half a bath, so report leaking taps and make sure they’re fully turned off!
  • Use energy saving lightbulbs. They last up to 10 times longer than ordinary bulbs, and using one can save you around £40 over the lifetime of the bulb. This saving could be around £65 over its lifetime if you’re replacing a high wattage incandescent bulb, or one used for more than a few hours a day.

Further Energy Advice can be found at The Energy Saving Trust

Tenants are responsible for the removal of pest infestations within their homes or garden unless there is clear evidence that the pests have arisen because the Association has failed or neglected to fulfill its responsibility as Landlord (for example if a squirrel builds a nest in a roof space because there are holes/gaps that need to be filled)

Where a Tenant does not deal with an infestation and as a consequence neighbouring properties become infested due to the tenants neglect, the Association will eradicate the problem and costs associated with this will be dealt with as a rechargeable repair.

Below is a guide and advice on how to deal with some of the most common household pests (it should be noted that some species may be protected).

Renfrewshire Council provide a pest control and eradication service for a fee – go to Renfrewshire Council Pest Control for information. Other service providers/contractors are available – see yellow pages.


Mice will move in to properties where they can get shelter, food and water. They normally move into dead spaces where they will not be disturbed. They are extremely good climbers with exceptionally sharp teeth.

They can do significant damage to building materials and have caused fire by chewing through cables. They use the same pathways and can be detected by the appearance of smear marks where their fur rubs against surfaces. They also leave fresh droppings or gnaw marks.

Prevention & Treatment: Do not leave food out overnight. Do not leave uneaten pet food over night. Remove all spillages. Empty waste bins frequently. Store food in rodent proof containers. Clear all refuse in the garden area. Sealing cracks (mice can squeeze through a gap down to 5 mm). Treat by trapping or baiting but do not leave bait down for extended periods.


Rats are a hazard to public health as they can transmit a number of potentially fatal diseases as well as bacteria, viruses and parasites. They will scavenge discarded food as well as scavenging in drains and sewers. They burrow into soil, compost heaps and under sheds etc. They can squeeze into small openings and have very sharp teeth.

They are generally difficult to spot due to their nocturnal nature and the sighting of a rat by day can indicate a significant infestation. Signs of an infestation consist of droppings, gnaw marks, runs and smear marks.

Prevention & Treatment: Ensure all drainage is in good condition.Ensure that refuse is not allowed to accumulate. Seal cracks in property. Suspend bird food or place it on tables and not the ground. Treat by baiting but this should be done by a specialist.

Birds & Squirrels

Birds and Squirrels can occasionally take up residence in roof spaces. You may only realise that you have birds or squirrels in your house if you see or hear them in the eaves or roofspace.

Prevention & Treatment: Make sure that all holes and gaps in the roofspace and eaves are blocked up. BHA will make arrangement to close over any access points into the building and will remove any squirrels or birds nests from within roofspaces.


Bats are a protected species. They are a flying nocturnal mammal. They eat insects and hibernate during the winter. They can get into buildings through very small space.

Residents must not attempt to remove/eradicate bats themselves. Please contact the Association’s Technical Team if you think you have bats.


These are flying; stinging insects and are active from spring through to autumn. They collect food when out to feed others back at their nest. Wasps particularly like fruit such as apples, pears and plums. They often build nests in the eaves of buildings, roof spaces and chimneys.

The presence of wasps can be detected by the sound they make and by the appearance of a nest (it usually looks like a small bee hive). They should be dealt with as soon as possible as the nest can vary in size from 5 to 5000 wasps.

Prevention & Treatment: Prevention is difficult. Treating wasps can be dangerous and should be undertaken by an experienced person wearing protective clothing. Nests can be treated with a suitable insecticide and treatment is usually done the evening when activity is low.


Bees are flying, stinging insects active from February to October. They seldom sting unless provoked and live in small colonies of up to 150 insects. Residents may become aware of bees by the buzzing sound they make and the presence of a small hive.

Prevention & Treatment: Prevention is difficult. Treating bees can be dangerous and should be undertaken by an experienced professional.


Cockroaches are an insect with large antennae and 2 pairs of wings. They can give off an unpleasant odour which can give people an allergic skin reaction. They like warm humid conditions where they have a source of food and shelter.

They are nocturnal and spend the day behind sinks and at the back of cupboards. Cockroaches are attracted to dirty kitchens so good hygiene is essential. You will probably hear them walking over surfaces but you are more likely to see them.

Prevention & Treatment: Prevention is achieved by maintaining high standards of hygiene to prevent them having access to sources of food. Cracks in buildings should be sealed. Cockroaches can be killed using an appropriate insecticide available from supermarkets/hardware shops/garden centres.


There are at least 41 varieties of ants in the UK. They generally nest out of doors but enter homes through small gaps in search of sweet foods. Black ants are the most common ants that enter the house and the main reason for this is that they are looking for food.

Prevention & Treatment: Good housekeeping is effective. Ant baits/insecticides of various types are available in shops/supermarkets. Treatment consists of applying a crawling insect insecticide at the entrance of the nest and where they enter the property to try and create a band of insecticide that the ants have to cross. Alternatively proprietary ant baits can be laid near nests.


Fleas are tiny parasites that live off warm blooded animals. There are various species that live off different animals (e.g. cat fleas, dog fleas). There has been an increase in numbers in recent years due to pet owners neglecting to clean their pets bedding properly. An infestation of fleas in the home will lead to bites to the legs of residents, generally below the knee.

Prevention & Treatment: Prevention is difficult. Fleas can be treated and controlled by regular cleaning of the property with a vacuum cleaner. Carpets can be treated with a suitable, proprietary insecticide. Pets and their bedding material should be treated with suitable veterinary products.

Earwigs, Woodlice & Silverfish

Earwigs are dark brown about 14mm long, have wings but never fly and are normally active at night. These infestations are caused by vegetation close to entrances and can be prevented by good housekeeping. They are naturally occurring and most people are not even aware of their presence.

Woodlice are slate grey in colour and have 7 pairs of legs. They are a crustacean.

Silverfish are a slender shiny wingless insect about 10mm long and have 3 bristles at the end of their body.

These 3 insects all prefer moist damp places.

Prevention & Treatment: They are dealt with by removing the damp conditions and applying a proprietary residual insecticide.

Slugs & Snails

Slugs and snails feed on a variety of plants and decaying matter. They move by a muscular foot which secrete mucus to allow the animal to slide along. This later dries out and leaves the tell tale silvery trail. They are most active at night or on cloudy/wet days. They hibernate during winter.

Prevention & Treatment: Slugs and snail can be treated with proprietary treatment from your local hardware store. Residents should also try to identify how they are getting into the home.

Cold weather affects all of us, including our relatives, friends and neighbours, and particularly older and vulnerable people in our community.

Try to keep your home reasonably warm day and night. Wearing several layers of thin clothing made with wool, cotton, or fleecy synthetic materials is better than wearing one thick layer of clothes.

If you’re an older or vulnerable person and it does turn really cold, try and eat at least one hot meal a day and sip hot drinks throughout the day. It’s important for you to be as active as possible if you can be. Spreading household chores throughout the day is a good way to stay mobile. Remember to stock up on food and other essentials in case it’s too cold to go to the shops for a few days.

Get a flu jab if your doctor recommends it.

Let us know if you think your heating is not warming up your house enough or if you’re feeling any cold draughts. It’s better to sort these things out now rather than when it gets really cold. Someone in our Technical department will be happy to assist you.

Looking after your home

Burst and frozen pipes can be avoided if some essential precautions are taken. Help to protect your home and your belongings with these simple steps.

If You Are Going On Holiday

If you’re planning  to go away for more than a day or two, turn off the stop valve and drain off both hot and cold water systems. Contact our Technical Staff at the office if you are unsure of where this is or what to do. If you leave the house empty for a period, to go on holiday for example, it is a good idea to leave the keys with a relative or neighbour and to inform the Police. You should also tell your Housing Officer at the office when you will be away.

If you live in a block of flats, check with your neighbours before turning off the water in case it affects the water supply to the block.

Heating the Roof Space

In the event of very low temperatures it is a good idea to open the hatch to the roof space, (if you have one). Although this will add slightly to your heating bill it will give additional protection to your water tank and pipes in the roof space.

Before Your House Freezes Up

  1. Find out where your stop valve is located. This is the stop cock fitted to the pipe that brings water into your home. It’s often located under the kitchen sink, but not always.
  2. If you have any pipework that you feel should be insulated, let the Association’s technical department know and we will check this for you.
  3. If you have an external tap, turn off the water supply to it (it should be fitted with its own stop cock) and open the tap so that any water can drain away.

If You Get A Burst Pipe

  1. Turn off the water at the stop valve
  2. Switch off the electricity at the mains
  3. Switch off any water heaters
  4. Switch off central heating systems
  5. Open all taps to sinks and  bath to let the water drain away
  6. If possible, collect water in the bath for flushing the toilet and for washing
  7. Call our office during working hours on 0141 812 2237  or the emergency call out number  0845 600 8624 when the office is closed.
  8. Warn neighbours who might be affected by leaks.

If You Get Frozen Up

  1. Turn off the water at the stop valve
  2. Open all taps to sinks and bath
  3. If possible, collect water in the bath for flushing the toilet and for washing
  4. Raise the temperature in the house gradually using your central heating system

Central Heating

It is a good idea to leave your heating system on, even when you are out or away on holiday.  Leave the boiler on at a very low setting, and turn the radiator valves to the ‘frost’ setting. Again, if you are unsure about this contact our Technical Department.

Are You Insured?

The next fire, flood or accident could happen to you. Have you insured your furniture and household contents? Check with your own insurer that you are covered for this type of eventuality. Tenants with no household insurance could be facing real financial disaster so please make sure that you have adequate insurance.


Whether you are in the house or away in holiday, you are responsible for it and may have to pay for damage done by frost if it could have been avoided.

Customer Portal

Thank you for your interest in our customer portal. Whilst its not quite ready yet, our portal is coming soon. If you’d like to be involved in testing it out, please register your interest below.

WordPress Cookie Plugin by Real Cookie Banner